Thursday, March 06, 2008

Happy Grammar Day!

Okay, technically I'm late--National Grammar Day was actually March 4th. So my apologies for not getting all of those "Wishing you a blessed Grammar Day" cards out in the mail in time. I'm way behind on everything. This is what happens when you write a 400+ book and only allot yourself time to write your normal 225 page book. So many things fall by the wayside. I didn't even put up the Grammar Day decorations this year.

But in honor of the day, I will actually pay attention to my grammar check when it shoots those little green lines under my sentences, instead of arguing that sentence fragments are a stylistic choice and thus completely valid.

After all, it should be a day of togetherness.

9 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

Rats, I missed it this year! Last year I dressed up as a semi-colon - it was great. Until people told me to get out of there and they invited an em-dash instead. It was pretty embarassing.

Debbie Barr said...

Hey, the only reason we learn our grammar is so we can say "I know the rules! So I'm allowed to break them!" It's what authors do best, right? ;)

Anonymous said...

because of course the little green lines know best.

Janette Rallison said...

I suddenly wonder if there is a national spelling day. *shudders*

Anonymous said...

I HATE those little green lines(L.G.L.'s) that supposedly know everything. I don't even know what the use of them is, except to continually put you down. i can just imagine what they say behind our backs.

L.G.L. 1: Oh, that Rachel, she can't go one day without using a sentance fragment.

L.G.L. 2: I know, and all of those subjuct -verb agreements. I'm suprised she even passed English.

They don't even look good on the page.

Julie Wright said...

fragmented sentences are wrong??? No wonder my editor gets red faced when he talks to me.

Anonymous said...

unfortunatly there is a national spelling day

Janette Rallison said...

ARRRGGHH!

(Which is both an incomplete sentence and spelled wrong.)

Anonymous said...

I'm offically petitioning whoever created National Spelling Day.