Monday, June 23, 2008

my fab trip to Utah--Shannon Hale

I came to Utah to teach at the BYU writing conference, but first I went to ShannonCon. (Shannon Hale kept on insisting that she didn't name the gathering ShannonCon--her fans did, but we know better. As soon as I become famous enough, I am going to have a JanetteCon.)
Photobucket
Here is a picture of Shannon and I. My head for some odd reason looks huge.
Photobucket
Here is another picture of us, where I look normal, but Shannon is closing her eyes. After that my camera battery died, so I don't really have a good picture of the two of us. Maybe I'll photo shop her eyes open . . .

Well, despite the fact that I couldn't find a Shannon Hale costume anywhere, I had a great time. Shannon's fan club (Little Read Riding Hood) are a great group, and I'm not just saying that since some of them are also my fans too.
Photobucket
Nathan Hale, who has illustrated Shannon's new book--Rapunzel's Revenge, also dropped by to tell Shannon stories (He is so funny!) and hand out some very cool Rapunzel paper dolls that he made in conjunction with the book. Now don't you wish you'd gone to ShannonCon?
Photobucket
We went out to dinner and her fans gave me chocolate--which just goes to show you that they know me well.

I can hardly wait until the next ShannonCon!

18 comments:

The Golfing Librarian said...

You should turn the photo of you, Shannon and the boy into a "caption this photo" contest on your blog. He looks real impressed with the company he's keeping. :)

Heather Moore said...

Fun pictures! Funny name too--ShannonCon. I hope you have your own soon :)

Annette Lyon said...

When you have JanetteCon, be sure to come way up to Utah so you can have it at that same restaurant (recognize it from the picture). Ooh, yum!

Enna Isilee said...

SHAN-CON rocked hardcore! You should totally have a JAN-CON (it rhymes!), I'd come... if it was in Utah.

And you're welcome for the chocolate, you earned it!

Anonymous said...

Was that little boy her son max?

Hoontah said...

Oh sure, when you were telling your students at the conference just how difficult it was to be a writer you completely left out the part about hanging out with fabulous writer friends.

Melinda said...

I'm with Kristi! That's good stuff. It should not be left out.

However, I'll forgive you if you invite me to Jan-Con.

(I don't think your head looks big. I think Shannon's just looks small.)

Janette Rallison said...

Yep--Shannon's son seems very impressed to be hanging out with writer folk. And Shannon is definitely one of the fun people to hang out with. She sings karioke in taxi cabs. Really.

Gabrielle said...

Wish I could have been there! Yes, the Max-cum-authors photo needs a caption. Perhaps, "My mom went to Utah and all I got were these two writers."

Debbie Barr said...

Oh, such fun! And sorry I didn't make it to the signing... I'm sort of in Indiana right now, and I forget about it when I told you I'd be coming. :) Like I said, though, very fun, and it was great having you there.

Tamra Norton said...

How fun! Wish I could have been there. The minute you announce a JanetteCon I'm there!!!

The Golfing Librarian said...

Those fans of yours that attend JanetteCon (or JanCon) can call themselves "JanetteHeads". I think it has a ring to to it. Don't you? BTW, I c hecked on GoDaddy and Janetteheads.com is available!

Janette Rallison said...

Shannon's group is called Little Read Riding Hood. Sometimes I think my books could just be described as Little Read. (Sigh. I went into the Bend River Barnes and Noble and no, they didn't have any of my books on the shelves.)

Asenath said...

that's because they sold out! be optimistic! :)

Anonymous said...

I've never read her books I'll have to try them out, If you like them though I guess thet're good.

P,S. I just read Trial of the Heart and now Its like my favorite book!!!

Debbie Barr said...

Actually it's "Little Red Reading Hood" not Little Read. There's nothing Little Read about any of the girls on there... and you have plenty of people who read your books! Look at all the -cool- people who read your books and post on your blog!

Anna Maria Junus said...

Sounds like you had a great time. And you teach too!

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Looks like lots of fun stuff. Hey, Janette, thanks soooo much for commenting on my son Michael's blog. He was very excited! I don't think he stopped smiling all day!