Saturday, July 05, 2008

Haiku, Low-ku, and chocolate

I forgot to add one thing about my class at BYU, and that was the Low-ku contest. (Haiku that is low on the poetic scale.) I thought Mike in my class wrote the best Low-ku poem. He was simply robbed when he didn't win the contest, so as a consolation prize I am posting his poem here where it will be seen by (according to statcounter) approximately five hundred viewers this week. Of course also according to statcounter many of these viewers will be from countries that don't actually speak English,so I'm not sure why they are stopping by my blog. Oh well, everyone is welcome here and if I knew how to say that in Portuguese and Chinese I would.

Boogidee
By Mike Blakesley

Boogidee the bird
flew by Tansy the bird dog.
We still find feathers.

This, according to Mike is a true story.

On a heavier note--heavier because I'm completely switching topics and now speaking about all the calories I've consumed lately--I'm returning to Arizona tomorrow. I've been traipsing around the Oregon and Utah for the last three and a half weeks and basically eating like I've been living on the Good ship Calories-don't-matter-so eat-whatever-tastes-good.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever eaten so many deserts and stuff. There is a tub of chocolate covered raisins upstairs in my mother's kitchen which I keep returning to like some sort of homing pigeon. Through constant use, I've rubbed off some of the lettering on the tub so that it now reads: Chocolate sins. And yes they are.

Reality and bran flakes will come tomorrow. Tonight there are more chocolate sins to be devoured.

21 comments:

The Golfing Librarian said...

Janette,
By any chance are any of your kid's middle names "Hershey", "Cocoa", "Ghirardelli" or "Lindt"?

Elise said...

I think I just about died laughing. Thank you for the funny Orlando Bloom stories--Joel doesn't think he's a worthy idol for young girls' affection, but I adored him just as much as anyone my age. Joel simply doesn't understand. Thanks for the funny blog. :)

Debbie Barr said...

From my Boyfriend's Mother's fridge:

"If God had intended us to be thin, he wouldn't have created chocolate."

So how could it be a sin? ;)

Jewel Allen said...

funny haiku :-)

As for the chocolate, lucky you.

Stephanie Black said...

Oooh. . . chocolate covered raisins. Yum!

Anonymous said...

im kind of worried about all the junk food i'll be eating on the two week road trip comming up

Janette Rallison said...

I'm home now, but my mom sent 25 pounds of cocoa powder with me . . . that ought to tide me over for awhile . . .

Heather Moore said...

If you eat standing up, the calories don't count.

Janette Rallison said...

I think if you eat while on vacation calories shouldn't count--but my scale begs to differ.

Stephanie Abney said...

What a fun post, Janette and welcome home!! So you were able to visit your mom? That's a nice plus.

One of my favorite parts of your blog was the comment: "I keep returning to like some sort of homing pigeon." What a great image... I could totally relate to that!! Fun stuff!!

Asenath said...

chocolate covered raisins? yuck.

I liked the haiku--that guy should write a book, and I'm glad you made it home sage.

Janette Rallison said...

I am always sage when I'm at home. Which is why my children listen to my advice with rapt attention.

Shellie said...

Chocolate sins? I gotta have some!

Julie Wright said...

haha! nice poem. I love that my mom keeps a big barrel of chocolate cvovered raisins at her house. It's half the reason I visit her.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Oh, chocolate sins, with DARK chocolate, are redeemable. You're getting your fruit, girl, and your oh-so-necessary seratonin! Eat up!

Mike Blakesley said...

Janette, you have honored me with your blog. You have consoled the anguish that I felt at the conference.

Might I add that being mentioned on a post alongside chocolate makes this a High Honor. I never knew the exalted position that chocolate had in the world until I got married and learned how strong cravings are and how deep some addictions go.

Janette Rallison said...

This is the first step as a husband in learning wisdom.

The Golfing Librarian said...

Yes. The fist step of a thousand mile journey.

Anonymous said...

There is always room for Chocolate goodness. :)

Anonymous said...

I love those! Everyone seems to find them gross those. I guess were loners janette.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Love the Low-ku. Very fun!

Enjoy all the chocolate sin you can. Bran flakes suck. Although there's this really good bran raisin w/ crunchy granola that's really good. Check that one out.